A coffee cafe would be a little bit different than the typical coffee shop or coffee house. Often these will serve breakfast and lunch and make for a great little meeting spot for people in both urban and suburban areas. These little cafes often will attract a variety of different customers that can range anywhere from students to white collar executives. Their menus often offer a variety of lighter meal options that might include sandwiches, bagels, salads, muffins, cookies, and different beverages especially coffee. In order to open up your own coffee cafe there are quite a few steps you will have to take beginning with a business plan all the way through processing the grand opening. Here is just a sample checklist of start-up requirements that give you an idea of the work involved with starting up your own coffee cafe.
All Equipment Needed
Coffee cafes and coffee shops all need a wide variety of equipment in order to prepare and serve their customers a variety of different products. Some of the things you may need are:
- Coffee machines
- Cappuccino machines
- Espresso machines
- Refrigerated and non-refrigerated display cases for a variety of different foods
- Tea brewers
- Coffee grinder
- Various kitchen tools
- Cash register
- Ability to handle credit cards
- Supplies from napkins to paper cups and lids and coffee, other beverages and a variety of foods
Do Market Research
Before opening up your coffee cafe it’s important that you understand the local market where you are thinking of opening up your cafe. If you know the market which includes existing competitors and potential customers then you will find it easier to cater to those people and get them to come visit your cafe. You should pay close attention to how well other similar businesses do in the area to give you and idea of how good you might do. Always check the Bureau of Labor Statistics for population info in the area so you can estimate what the income might potentially be in your target market.
Don’t Forget Licenses & Permits
All businesses such as a coffee cafe require they have both food and beverage licenses at local and state levels. You will need to get local permits as well. So make sure that you find out all the different licenses and permits you will need and tackle those as soon as you can.
Market Your Business
Once you have everything in place then it’s important that you find a way to lure customers to your new cafe. You should do a variety of different marketing activities before you open your doors. You should include some if not all of the following:
- Come up with a loyalty program
- Place grand opening advertisements in local newspapers and magazines, radio and TV
- Send out discount coupons all through the community
- Create attractive grand opening signage
- Advertise on social media
- Give away free gifts during your grand opening
- Coffee Brewing: For Dummies
- These 4 Improvements Will Keep Your Cafe Customers Coming Back Daily!
- 4 Critical Questions For Your Coffee Shop Grand Opening, You Must Know!
- 5 Marketing Techniques To A Successful Coffee Shop Business, You Didn’t Know!